Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Batch of 2009

Am I not blessed to have studied at Madras School of Economics? I am, in my opinion, very lucky in that regard. It is not so much the academic foundation at Madras School that causes me to make such a statement. It is more about the company I was in. Come to think of it, at MSE I met the most incredulous set of talented and brilliant people. So much so that on many occasions I felt that destiny had played a very cruel trick on me. I felt so much out of place. The feeling was so intense and over whelming sometimes that I built a cocoon around myself and confined myself to the comfortable limits of the cocoon.

Almost everybody in my batch (the batch of 2009) had some extraordinary quality for twenty something years of age. Some were extraordinaries in whatever they did. Wizards at academics and champs at extra curriculars, everybody had something special in them. I mean everybody.EVERYBODY. Now, where did I fit in this scheme of things? To be honest, nowhere. Perhaps, my only job was to watch in awed admiration the splendid events as and when they unfolded and soak up all the beauty and wisdom thus being released. I did try in earnest to do so.

All of create identities in our lifetimes. Most from my batch will have examplary identities. Some will be great economists, some great managers, some great academicians, some of them will be the big bull on the stock markets, some will be civil servants of the highest cadre, some great thinkers. All this makes me very envious and sometimes sad. Sad because I know no matter how hard I try I am never even going to get close to any one in this regard. However, there is much happiness to be had from the fact that I had a chance to know such brilliant people. I do feel happy and blessed to have been able to do so. Like all others in my batch I will also create some identities ( thought much lesser in stature). No matter where I reach or what identity I create, my greatest identity will be that I knew these wonderful people. My epitaph (if I get one) shall read-He lived in the age of the batch of 2009.

5 comments:

Somya Sethuraman said...

oh my god !! i think m going to burst out crying !! on a more serious note, yes, all of us are very blessed to have lived those beautiful two years at mse...every moment was as memorable as the other..mse makes one feel complete, emotionally and mentally...away from the hurry burry of life..away from the noisy and materialistic world...that place is divine and makes u feel truly special...and buddy, everyone is special and posseses a unique skill and talent..so dont u worry..life is going to be great...chao!!

riddhiculous said...

ohh lord why so self derogatory. Not derogatory actually self discouraging or something... Like you are one of the most multitasking economist I know around. mr. goodheart whats wrong with you.. Its good to admire the company but not great to disconder your self. You might not be the best but come on Harry potter was also an admirer but Hermoine Granger se jyada famous toh wahi hai na.. So, you are our Harry Potter., the wizard who has the good heart and the great breains to keep him going.. :)Batch of 2009 will need you more than you need them .

nidhi said...

God Shankar, such overflowing humility is always suspect. and all modesty apart, you KNOW you were every bit as talented and as intelligent as these people. this is just fishing for compliments! silly boy.

oof ya! said...

i agree with nidhi! stop fishing for compliments, silly boy!!! :D love you

Shishir said...

I agreeeeeeeeee with nidhi too...as always :)!