Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Local Train Adventure

I found the train parked at the platform when I reached there. I had barely boarded the train when it began to roll out. I was the only passenger in the bogey. It was a bit surprising but I thought to my self that the train is usually empty at this particular station. So I took a seat. Having moved about 400 metres the train came to halt. To which I thought that some trains wait at the outer signal for the signal to turn green.

Just then a few crows came flying in to the compartment. This was the weirdest thing I has seen all day. I had never ever seen crows inside a train. Then a few more crows made an entrance. It looked like a scene from Harry Potter where crows usually play the role of being the harbingers of sinister. It felt a bit spooky. An empty train compartment in a stationary train in the middle of a train yard with a few hundred crows flying in and out of a compartment. I leaned outside the door to see if there were any other passengers on the train.Not a soul moved. Suddenly the fans are switched off. The silence was now accentuated so much so that I could even hear the flapping of the crows' wings. At the far end of the train I saw the drive deboarding. It is then I realize that the train was being parked in the yard. This was confirmed by a voice yelling at me from the other side of the train.  I deboarded the train as well and then tailed the driver all the way back to the platform. This was my little adventure on a rather unassuming day.

On a totally disconnected note, walking on railway tracks with formal shoes on is really tough.

10 comments:

oof ya! said...

i see this adventure has impacted you in myriad ways :-) you are very sweet to blog about this :-)

ankita said...

:D
there was a tree at jamia where hundreds of crows would perch, on not so sunny days it too looked like a scene out of Harry Potter. I can imagine how spooky it must've been.

The good thing is you got off the spooky train and lived to tell the tale :)

Raveena said...

You should try a mumbai local train. It would involve you hanging on to your dear life everyday.

Anand said...

@ Oof- Ya: Yes I was a little troubled by this adventure. But I must admit that there was a sense of nrevous excitement as well.

@Ankita:Thank You. I would love to visit Jamia in winter. Let us make this happen. Nidhi, you and I can plan

@Raveena:Thank You for the comment. I took the Mumbai local train (Kandavali to Central) on the day when there was a taxi+auto strike in Mumbai in June, 2010. :) I even had to carry a laptop. :(

Prey, initially I thought that you were friends with Oof-Ya and Oof thought that you were friends with me until we figured that neither of us knew you personally. So may I request you to clarify whether either Oof or I know you personally?

nidhi said...

Anand, i can imagine the spookiness! i love how you've written this. and i hope you caught the train you were meant to board. or was this a result of a bored, listless day at the train station? and is this when you took that picture of the train tracks? :)

Anand said...

@Nidhi: Yup, I boarded the train.
I had taken the picture on my way home from Delhi last May or June :)

oof ya! said...

nidhi - anand was most amusing during this phase of his life

oof ya! said...

hi shorty i am here to request that you blog soon :)

Anand said...

@Raveena: I take the Mumbai Local EVERYDAY now:)

Raveena said...

Waiting for the rains to arrive...

:P