Saturday, February 2, 2008

When I Died

The light is fading away, and dusk is approaching.
Flickering and unsteady the light goes out………
A story has ended, a lifetime spent.

Wails, cries and frantic howls.
In a state of possession she sits by my side.
Can not be comforted by any aide.
Too shocked and stunned, he can’t believe
His son has taken his last worldly leave.
Never to come again and never to go away.

He had never imagined; he would see this day
On his shoulders he carries me away
One last hug; her momentary comfort
Smell of incense and some holy chant
I enjoy the ride on my father’s back.

A pile of wood and a river near by for the common good.
I am laid on it, on top of me some more wood.
His eyes are teary and red,
He can’t see I am cozy and comfortable on my bed

I am set ablaze, like a stone he watches me burn,
Soon it will be somebody else’s turn.
Hands, legs and torso turn to ash,
And the rancour odour rising from my burning flesh.

From the material into the sublime
I pass, and it’s time.
They go back and try to forget in vain,
They knew that I would never walk at home again.

Another tear, another cry
No smiles and another sigh.
Dull, dark and grey all around
Not even the shadow of joy to be found
The birds don’t sing, nor do the flowers bloom
The music also never plays at home.

I go near and try to comfort her,
All I manage to soothe is air.
In different worlds we live, but yet I care,
She is my mother; I can’t touch her, is it fair?

Now the sun never rises for it never sets,
The air is soothingly warm; I go to Him on his behest.
On a new journey I am sent.

A bud on my own shrub, I blossom and I grow
The caressing wind pushes me to and fro.
Another tear in her eyes, she holds me close to her
Now I feel her comforting touch, he watches us.
In dazed silence he takes her away,
Quite aware, this momentary reunion is here to betray.

My days are done again,
It’s winter, fury the winds gain.
Blown away am I
On the cold earth I lie.
Withering and wilting
Pismires are also working
And it is the time for another journey.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I read this poem 2-3 years back in the "Expression", I had asked Kittu to tell you that it is one of the most touching poems i ever read. Did she do what she was supposed to?

Unknown said...

a very touching poem...brilliantly written!!!gives a wierd feeling...y dont u write a happy happy poem?? hoping to see one...