Friday, September 25, 2009

Reservoir Dogs - A Review

I can not claim to be too much of a "watching plays" person. However, having lived in Delhi for a little while I have had some exposure to theatre but only just. I was elated at the orginality of presenting plays on stage in two forms-screening some parts of the play and enacting the other parts. This is what ASAP productions did when I had gone to watch their play on Friday Sep 18th, 2009 at Museum Theatre, Egmore, Chennai. They play was called 'Reservoir Dogs'.

The idea of the play was similar to the movie having the same title. The stage was befittingly lit dimly giving the impression that one was sitting in a gangster's hideout. The acting was emaculate and flawless. Mr Orange did look like he had taken a bullet in his belly and the policeman did look like that his ear had been chopped off, so much so that I could feel the chill and some of my colleagues who were co audience covered their eyes with their hands. The performance was powerful. However, to my surprise many people left before the play got over. Despite the brilliant individual performances the play looked to be incoherent and failed to capture the attention of the audiences. This lapse I attribute to two things- first, the screen was crumpled up and second, some of the screeings were too long.

As far as I am concened I am waiting for other plays by ASAP for I am sure by what I saw that these are the guys to watch out for. I am going to be looking out for them, I suggest that you too do the same. You have my word, you will not regret it.

1 comment:

oof ya! said...

Hi Anand i know you are probably going to be annoyed with me for writing a comment not directly related to your post - but i think it is time you blogged about the physiotherapist. please :-) take it as a reader's request - from your biggest fan :-) love you.