Saturday, December 12, 2009

Big Words

Even protracted ruminations on the subject matter of sesquipedality has never led me understand the need for such acute communicatory profligacy. Engagement is such demeanour is often profligate. No doubt it sounds impressive, it conveys little leaving the reader discombobulated. Effective communication rests heavily on easy comprehension and sesquipedalian language does not lend it self to easy comprehension.


Now in English
I have never understood the need to use big words in communication. Using big words defeats the purpose of what it intends to do i.e communicate ( I am assuming it intends to communicate and not impress per say). Use of such language leaves the reader/listener confused about the meaning to what is being said. Communication depends on how easily people understand what they are hearing or reading. Using big words often confuses people and therefore is not good for communication

13 comments:

Vaishnavi Prathap said...

yuck! ;P So many big words on one page has made me sick.

Apparently, the best of all - Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

oof ya! said...

Anand. I skipped the first paragraph entirely. Too many difficult words for my young mind.

sujatha said...

very rich coming from someone who uses "esoteric" expressions in coffee-break conversations ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

First para..is beyond my head dear..... i don't know who have written it.......only people like you can understand it.... i agree with your argument that big words are not for good communication

Bhawesh Kumar Sah

nidhi said...

hahahhaa! i love this post! :D but i agree with sujatha...comin from someone who uses BIG words even in orkut testimonials! :D

riddhiculous said...

hehee ... :) i like the word sesquipedalian but i do not know how to spell it right..hehhe
good post

nidhi said...

...and i now remember the big word i was meaning to throw in your face...PULCHRITUDINOUS! that's like...more than half the Alphabet and 5-5 syllables! but hey, don't get me wrong, i love the semtiment n compliment behind it! :D love ya shankar!

Ankita said...

Exactly my thought nidhi, I remember PULCHRITUDINOUS ( i still had to copy and paste)

Anand, You? YOu.. think that using big words is bad for communication? You? You?

Anand said...

@ Ankita: I unfeignedly believe that big words are bad for communication. :)

And thank you for visiting my blog.

ankita said...

does this mean "stay away from my blog!"?

Anand said...

@ Ankita: It means that you should visit my blog more often.

AC said...

:) Will do. and you mine. Though i don't post as often as I'd like.